Manners of Worship
While customs of worship vary among regions and families, here we introduce some common worship practices. Please note that the use of fire is prohibited inside the main shrine; there is a designated incense burner area accessible to those who wish to make offerings. Assistance is offered throughout the temple. Please stop by the reception to obtain incense sticks and gold paper.
- Light the incense sticks and fan the fire out but do not blow on the incense.
- Proceed to place the incense in the five corresponding burners:
- Jade Emperor for universal peace;
- Mazu for a safe voyage, protection from natural and man-made disasters and good fortune;
- Zhusheng Niang Niang for conception and Lady Linshui for safety of mother and child during pregnancy and birth;
- Wenchang Wang for knowledge and wisdom and Yue Lao for fruitful relationships in all aspects of life;
- Fu De Zheng Shen for business success, financial health and wealth.
- Then enter the shrine and pray to each deity in order of: Jade Emperor skywards (this diety lives in the Heavens and there is no corresponding statue), Mazu in the center, Zhusheng Niang Niang and Lady Linshui to the right, Wenchang Wang and Yue Lao to the left and Fu De Zheng Shen at the entrance of the main temple.
Fortune-Telling Using Divination Moon Blocks
- At the prayer stand in the main hall, hold the container of fortune stick. Silently and intentionally offer your address, name, date of birth and your specific wishes and shake the container until one stick emerges.
- Drop the pair of crescent shaped divination blocks onto the ground. A temple assistant in charge will be there to help you interpret the result. Give the fortune stick to the temple assistant to receive the paper fortune.